If you've ever been tempted to add the bright splashes of color or soft pastels that achillea can provide in an arrangement, you certainly can if you follow a few simple hints. Madison suggests that you plan ahead when cutting achillea.
1. If it hasn't rained recently - water the plants deeply at least 24 hours before cutting.
2. Cut them before the sun has hit the plant - or late in the evening when it's cool enough for mosquitoes to be flying.
3. Fill a pail with lukewarm water (110 degrees) 3 - 5 inches deep. Optionally - add 1 tablespoon of floral conditioner for each quart of water.
4. Carry the container with you to the plants and immediately place each cut stem in the water.
5. Cut with a sharp knife or floral shears and strip off all leaves that would otherwise touch the water.
6. Place your container of cut stems in a cool dark place for 4 hours - or better yet overnight.
7. Enjoy creating that beautiful arrangement!